At 2am UAE time today, BP gave an update on the situation following the terrorist attack on the In Amenas joint venture gas facility in Algeria on Wednesday 16 January.
As previously reported, 14 of the 18 BP employees who were at the In Amenas site at the time of the attack have been confirmed safe. They have all now left Algeria.
BP is in close contact with the families of the other four employees, offering support and assistance. Respecting the families’ wishes, we do not currently intend to release information on the identities of these staff.
Bob Dudley, group chief executive, said: “We have been gravely concerned for these colleagues and feared one or more fatalities among their number. It is with great sadness that I now have to say that we fear the worst for them all. We are doing all we can to support their families and ask everyone to show them consideration and to respect their privacy.”
BP offices around the world are holding a minute’s silence tomorrow, Wednesday, one week on from the terrorist attack, as a mark of respect for all of those who lost their lives at In Amenas.
“The terrible events of last week have affected every one of us at BP deeply. Many of us have friends and colleagues, both in BP and in other companies, who have worked at In Amenas or in similar facilities. We are all thinking of our missing colleagues, those who endured the ordeal and their loved ones,” said Dudley.
“We are mindful that many others – from partners, contractors and other companies – have died or remain unaccounted for. Our thoughts are also with their families, friends and loved ones at this time.”
BP personnel have returned to the In Amenas site to support efforts to gather confirmed information.
In total, 43 BP staff from various locations across Algeria have left the country over the past few days. BP is offering them assistance as required including medical, HR and practical help.
BP emergency response teams in both Algeria and the UK are still managing the company’s response to the incident.