Scania upgrades Citywide range with buses for all fuel variants including battery electric vehicles

Scania upgrades Citywide range with buses for all fuel variants including battery electric vehicles
Published: 20 October 2019 - 2:45 p.m.
By: PMV Staff

Scania has launched a new generation of buses for city and suburban operations. Leading with the Scania Citywide battery electric bus, the range will encompass buses for all fuel variants with a comprehensive offer of alternative fuels in the market.

The 12-metre Scania Citywide BEV comes equipped with a 300 kW electric motor. With Scania’s oil spray cooling system for the motor there are no torque limitations in hilly and warm environments. This cooling system also eliminate the need for AC compromises with both systems fully operational in parallel. The batteries have been divided with four on the roof and four in in the rear overhang to give a lower centre of gravity, enabling better bus driveability and handling. This distribution of weight enables the bus to carry up to 95 passengers.

The side-mounted engine placement of both the 7- and 9-litre engine, and the electric motor, on 12-metre low-floor city buses gives three extra seats behind the rear axle. Further, the increased front axle load can give two extra seats. The total passenger capacity has been raised to a maximum of approximately 100 depending of propulsion and layout.

Equipped with the 7-litre engine, the most common in city operations, fuel consumption has been lowered by 3–5%. Combined with enhanced gearbox performance, an additional 1–3% can be obtained. With the introduction of a start/stop function, the total reduction in diesel and biodiesel operation will be 8% while the figure for gas buses will be up to 15%.

Further fuel savings can be obtained with the Scania Opticruise on suburban low-entry buses. Fuel efficiency is also positively affected by the improved air drag, cruise control with active prediction (CCAP), electrical cooling fan, SCR only aftertreatment, and reduced weight.

The new Scania Citywide has a completely new interior styling with light colours on roof and side panels. The side windows are larger and have higher ceiling line, which gives more natural light inside the bus. The ceiling has increased in height and has side ceiling panels with a flat design, which improves both lighting and space experience in the passenger area. The broader aisle and indirect ceiling lighting throughout the bus will further add to the feeling of spaciousness and comfort.

For the low floor variant there will be an additional window in the back, compared to the current Citywide. This due to the change of engine location. Furthermore, customers can select an additional lower side windows between the front and rear axle, which adds even more light in the passenger area. Another comfort-enhancing feature is the individual front suspension, contributing to a smoother ride.

To facilitate daily maintenance, the bus has been designed with minimised gaps and edges. With the new driver’s area, ergonomics has been vastly improved through better pedal placement, more leg space, driver height settings, all-angle step-less seat adjustments, better visibility and better reachability. Nearly all instrument panel buttons are CAN-based and can thereby easily be customised for varying local applications.

The complete Scania Citywide has been designed with a common electrical system, facilitating condition monitoring and repairs. With the new city and suburban range, the geofencing system Scania Zone is available for all powertrains to assist drivers in adapting to increasing urban regulations to limit pollution and increase safety.

Click here to add your comment

Please add your comment below
Name
Country
Email
Your email address will not be published
Captcha