A fire that started in the world’s tallest hotel — Gevora Hotel — on Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai on Sunday left three injured.
The Dubai police revealed that the fire started in one of the “upper floors” and when fire fighters reached the spot, the floor was filled with smoke. The reason behind the fire, police revealed, was an electric fault in the sauna room.
According to Hotelier Middle East, the fire was put out before any major damage could occur and officials managed to get all the guests out of the property on time.
According to the police’s online statement, “A fire incident [was reported] at a hotel in Sheikh Zayed Road. When the competent teams reached the spot, [there was] smoke as a result of an electric fault. Three people were injured due to suffocation [caused by the smoke].”
The Gevora Hotel is a four-star property and is 356 metre (1,167.98 feet) long, with 528 deluxe rooms and suites, five dining experiences and leisure facilities.
According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the Gevora Hotel was designed by architecture and engineering practice Eng. Adnan Saffarini Office, with consultation from Al Turath Engineering.
The hotel's facade features a simple glass design with gold elements bordering each corner of the rectangular building, which is crowned with a pyramidal structure.