Working from home looks set to continue for now, so let's take a look on how to make it work for us.
Ellington Properties' Laura BieleckI explains how:Set up your workspace:
- Divide your living space into more distinct zones; an office requires a dedicated space, even if it’s only a desk.
- Place your desk in a comfortable space within your home. Ideally near a window where you can catch a bit of sunlight and see the passing of time.
- If you have happy houseplants or fresh cut flowers arrange them within view of your desktop/laptop.
- If you have a good quality office desk chair you are already ahead of most working from home.
- An ergonomic chair will assist you in getting through long hours without back pain, numb legs or other workplace injuries.
- As an option, use pillows for below your bottom or your lower back, and a box or books on the floor to get your feet in the right position.
- A task lamp is a must for achieving optimal working conditions, especially in a home environment.
- If you have a pinboard, magnet board or even just blank wall space next to your desk, it would be an ideal place to recreate some of your real office space.
- Pin up schedules, phone numbers, notes etc. along with inspiration and photos of colleagues or office moments.
- Stack some books and magazines that you have been meaning to read.
- Have a blazer on the back of your chair or hanging on the wall next to your space in case you need to pop into a virtual meeting,
- Think carefully about what is behind you. Will your kids or spouse sneak up on you? Is the background clean and conducive to Zoom/TEAMS meetings?
- First thing in the morning clean and disinfect your workspace. Make sure your phone, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair arms are all clean and ready.
- Put on some background music, get the room temperature/humidity just the way you like it.
- Make yourself a serving platter with all the great inspiring and energising items that will get you through your morning - a great coffee or tea in your favourite mug, healthy snacks and a large pitcher of water.
- Make a list of what you would like to achieve for the day in order of priority.
- Make sure you check in with your team and boss daily to ensure the flow of information, expected tasks and deadlines are all understood.
- Make sure to get up from your chair often, stretch, grab a coffee, check in with your family/friends etc.
- Choose a certain day or hour for extracurricular learning.
- Find your best time to do fitness.
Happy home working everyone!Ellington Properties was founded in 2014 and has created communities in Downtown Dubai, Mohammed Bin Rashid City and Emirates Hills.