The HR & Training Person of the Year at the 15th Hotelier Middle East Awards went to Taj Dubai’s Swati Tandon.
Tandon impressed the judges with her dedication. She is a member of “L&D Centre of Excellence and her projects include creating a Training Lab where all L&D professionals can be trained during the on-boarding process.
After visiting a special needs school in Dubai she created a learning platform for students to learn and develop useful skills. Inviting one student to work and learn as a part of their team, and overseeing his development and integration.
Commenting on what she loves about her job, Tandon said: “I started my career 13 years ago and my passion lies with training people. I think whatever I’ve done throughout my career has paid me back today.”
When asked about the challenges she faces, Tandon replied: “Our biggest challenge is the retention of staff. As Taj Dubai, the biggest asset we have is ‘Taj-ness’ and we ensure that we communicate this to all of our associates.
The award was presented by Eddie Abou Khalim, Middle East area manager, Cosentino
The other shortlisted candidates in the category were:
• Abdullah Saad Al-Otaiby, InterContinental Jeddah
• Carleo Tarun, Crowne Plaza and Staybridge Suites Abu Dhabi Yas Island
• Lorelai Lanot, Mövenpick Hotel Jumeirah Lakes Towers, Dubai
• Mohamed Aleemuddin, InterContinental Riyadh
• Muni Pratap, Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa
• Shahid Jabbar, Millennium Airport Hotel Dubai
• Shrouq Amin, Semiramis InterContinental Cairo
• Tripat Mehrotra, Millennium Hotels & Resorts Middle East & Africa