NOC Libya "increasingly concerned" about lawlessness and theft

NOC Libya "increasingly concerned" about lawlessness and theft
Published: 23 May 2019 - 7:15 a.m.
By: Carla Sertin

National Oil Corporation (NOC), Libya's state oil company, issued a statement noting that it has become "increasingly concerned about the state of lawlessness in Libya stemming from the ongoing conflict, and its impact on oil sector operations."

A security inspection of North African Geophysical Exploration Company (NAGECO) prompted this concern, as inspectors found that the facility, which has been closed since it was shelled on 10 April, had been robbed. The statement noted that multiple pieces of "key machinery and equipment" were stolen from NAGECO's headquarters, which it described as having been "ransacked".

"Protracted hostilities continue to hamper NOC operations and our ability to serve the Libyan people," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla said. "Key infrastructure is being damaged and security eroded - allowing criminal elements to prosper. NOC will take all necessary measures to investigate and prosecute those committing crimes that undermine the oil sector and our ability to maintain operations."

In another incident, a fuel supply truck transporting 40,000 litres of fuel from Sabha to the El Feel oilfield was found in Germa on Saturday. NOC Libya says it was seized by an unknown group, and an unidentified body was found inside the truck.

"An immediate ceasefire is needed," Sanalla added. "The alternative is further escalation and destruction."

Sanalla was ranked 26th on Oil & Gas Middle East's Power 50 list of the most influential people in the regional upstream sector.


Click here to add your comment

Please add your comment below
Name
Country
Email
Your email address will not be published
Captcha