With a striking increase in submissions this year, our judging panel had to scrutinise a competitive crop of candidate from across the upstream, midstream, downstream and utilities sectors. The shortlist represented some of the best in the industry, but ultimately, one winner and one highly commended nomination were chosen.
The winner of Energy Woman of the Year 2019:
Nadia Al-Hajji, deputy CEO, Petrochemicals Industries Company, was awarded the Energy Woman of the Year award for its contribution to developing talent in the regional energy industry.
“We have a tradition in the country to support women in all sectors, we’re very lucky that the atmosphere allows for equal treatment and allows women to establish and perform to the best of their abilities, side to side and shoulder to shoulder with their male colleagues,” Al-Hajji said.
Highly commended for Energy Woman of the Year 2019:
The ‘highly commended’ nomination in this category was Alyazia Ali Al Kuwaiti, the executive director of Mubadala Investment Company.
The jury panel this year, comprising six judges – Abhay Bhargava, director, industrial practice, MEA, Frost & Sullivan; Ali Al Janabi, UAE country chair, vice president, Shell Upstream, Shell Group of companies; Bart Cornelissen, energy, resources & industrials leader, Middle East, Deloitte Middle East; Joseph J Anis, president and CEO, power services and gas power systems, MENASA, GE Power; Nicholas Cochrane-Dyet, special advisor to the chief representative, BP Oil International; Vinod Raghothamarao, director, energy wide perspectives and strategy, IHS Markit EMEA– considered the merit of the nominees, and decided the winner and the ‘highly commended’.
The Middle East Energy Awards 2019 recognised excellence across all sectors of the energy industry, with 16 categories representing the industry:
- Clean Energy Initiative of the Year
- CSR Initiative of the Year
- Digital Enabler of the Year
- Downstream Project of the Year
- Energy Woman of the Year
- HSE Initiative of the Year
- Logistics Service Provider of the Year
- Oilfield Services Company of the Year
- Operational Excellence Strategy of the Year
- Technical Innovation of the Year
- Talent Development Initiative of the Year
- Upstream Project of the Year
- Utilities Project of the Year
- Young Energy Professional of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Innovator of the Year