Dell EMC has announced its newest Integrated Data Protection Appliance (IDPA), the Dell EMC IDPA DP4400, a converged data protection platform targeting mid-size organisations.
Comprehensive data protection has long been a challenge for mid-size organisations. Enterprise-class products come with higher cost and complexity, while lower cost products that have traditionally targeted these organisations sacrifice performance, efficiency and application support.
Dell EMC built the IDPA DP4400 to solve some of these limitations, offering enterprise-class capabilities for backup, deduplication, replication and recovery. IDPA DP4400 also offers built-in cloud readiness features with disaster recovery and long-term data retention to the cloud.
Beth Phalen, president, data protection, Dell EMC said most mid-size organisations have struggled to find a comprehensive data protection solution that was sized and priced right for them. “With the IDPA DP4400 …, we’re delivering a converged data protection solution that’s as simple to use as it is powerful —with support for the largest application ecosystem and expansion to the cloud. The IDPA DP4400 offers the right level of modern features and capabilities for mid-size data centres at the lowest cost to protect.”
“For mid-size organisations, scaling can get expensive as they try to meet the needs of their ever growing data,” said Michel Nader, regional director, data protection solutions, Middle East, Turkey and Africa (META Region), at Dell EMC. “With the new Dell EMC IDPA DP4400 we have integrated the best of breed components to offer better time to value and cloud-tiering for long term retention, enabling mid-size organisations to greatly simplify and automatically adapt to the changing needs and requirements of their business, while keeping performance high and costs down.”
The IDPA DP4400 is a converged data protection appliance in a dense 2U platform powered by Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers. Key features include:
- Customer-installable and easy-to-use HTML5 user interface makes IDPA DP4400 ideal for deployment and management in mid-sized organisations and ROBO locations.
- A single 24TB appliance can grow in place to 96TB with a license key and no additional hardware to purchase.
- Protect more data with 55:1 average deduplication: IDPA DP4400 can protect approximately 5PB of usable data capacity. And, with native Cloud Tier for long-term retention, the total protected usable capacity increases to 14.4 PB.
- Supports largest application ecosystem : Includes support for modern applications such as MySQL and MongoDB, both physical and virtual, and support for multiple hypervisors (VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V).
- With NVMe flash, the IDPA DP4400 shortens backup windows by up to 2x ; backs up only de-duplicated data requiring up to 98% less bandwidth ; and supports 7x more backup streams while delivering instant access and restore of virtual machines to help meet stringent SLAs and RPOs.
- Cloud-ready solution: IDPA DP4400 comes with 5TB licenses each for Cloud Disaster Recovery and Cloud Tier as well as a Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines starter pack that provides five VMs and a one-year subscription.
The IDPA DP4400 simplifies data protection management via a modern HTML 5 user interface that automates daily tasks including management, monitoring and reporting. In addition, integration with VMware native tools, SQL Server Management Studio and Oracle RMAN enables application administrators to leverage protection features within familiar user interfaces.
With an average 55:1 deduplication rate, The IDPA DP4400 also offers efficient and cost-effective native Cloud Disaster Recovery (to Amazon AWS) with end-to-end orchestration—failover in three clicks, and failback in two clicks—all without the need for additional hardware.
The IDPA DP4400 is optimised for VMware environments, with integration that enables vAdmins to perform most common backup and recovery tasks directly from the native vSphere UI. Protecting up to 5x more VMs in a single 2U appliance and with automation across the entire VMware data protection stack (VM deployment, deployment of proxies and movement of data to protection storage), the IDPA DP4400 makes it easy and cost-effective to scale up to protect more VMs. It also provides faster VMware backups and recoveries, and more efficient networking and capacity with its leading deduplication and bandwidth utilization.
The IDPA DP4400 is part of the Dell EMC Future-Proof Loyalty Program, offering a three-year Satisfaction Guarantee, Hardware Investment Protection, up to 55:1 Data Protection Deduplication Guarantee, and Clear Price—giving customers additional peace of mind with consistent and predictable maintenance pricing.