Rosatom undertakes to skill personnel for Egypt’s nuclear power plant

Rosatom undertakes to skill personnel for Egypt’s nuclear power plant
Published: 20 November 2019 - 12:25 p.m.
By: Baset Asaba

Russian headquartered global nuclear energy developer, Rosatom, plans to train nearly 2000 Egyptians for the operation and maintenance of Al Dabaa Nuclear Power Plant in Egypt, a senior official has revealed.

Tatyana Terentyeva, chief human resources officer at Rosatom said that the skilling program for personnel at Egypt’s first nuclear power plant would commence in 2020.

“Training and upskilling employees is our top priority. During implementation of a project we do our best to help partner countries on each step related to nuclear education,” Terentyeva told Egypt Today.

“Together with the Egyptian side, we are working on updating the country's higher education system to ensure continuous training of young personnel for the developing nuclear industry in Egypt.”

Teryenteva noted that Russia is currently offering scholarships to Egyptian students wishing to enroll for masters programs in nuclear at leading Russian universities.

In 2014, Egypt and Russia announced their cooperation in the nuclear power field. On November 19, 2015, an agreement was finally signed between Cairo and Moscow that allows Russia to build a nuclear power plant in the Mediterranean city of Dabaa, with Russia extending a $25 billion loan to Egypt to cover the cost of construction.

The loan will cover 85 percent of the plant, with Egypt funding the remaining 15 percent.

Click here to add your comment

Please add your comment below
Name
Country
Email
Your email address will not be published
Captcha